Friday, September 13, 2013

WHERE DOES THE TIME GO?

The week goes and I'm not sure how I spent all those hours.  Certainly not painting!!  


Tuesday, I had a lesson plan ready for the class - shiny silver stuff.  It was a simple silver shaker and we did the background first and then put in the midtones at the bottom of the shaker, incorporating the background colors.  (This came from a very good beginner book by Hazel Harrison called Watercolor Class.  It's a great book if watercolor is new to you because she shows you a lot of techniques and styles throughout.)

I thought a single shiny subject would ease their fears a bit and let them focus more on the darks needed and the shapes to bring out the shiny aspect of the object.  I did the dark shapes in class so they could see me do that and see how dark I got - they often have problems getting dark enough because they don't really load up the pigment.  It's good for them to see how much pigment and water I use.  When you're just beginning in watercolor, there is so much to think about - drawing or tracing something correctly; composition and where things sit on the paper; soft or hard edges; values!!  No wonder it seems overwhelming and stressful at times.  I hope having me there to talk to them and help them when they are struggling is teaching them to stress less and know what to do when a certain technique is needed.  Afterall, all we really teach are techniques - we can't teach someone to be an artist.  That's either in someone or it isn't.  

I'm not sure where Wednesday went or what I did.  But Thursday I drove over to Indiana to Deb's and she, I, Sharon and Linda all worked on our art together and talked and ate and laughed and had a good time.  It was a good day even though it rained :)  And I began 2 small paintings there which I may share later...

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.  Autumn has arrived to my part of the world with cooler temperatures and less humidity.  Perfect!!!




8 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Rhonda - I bet you are a wonderful teacher. Wish I could take a class with you. I always struggle with darks too. I may not be a beginner but values and darks are always a challenge. Hope you have a great week-end too - it is fall here now as well.

Unknown said...

It sounds like a very artful, productive week! It's wonderful that you teach, and that you share your knowledge with others. I imagine it helps you, too, when you talk about art all day long, then come back to your own projects. I should have attended, I 'd like to learn about shiny things!

laura said...

I've been wondering where the time goes myself (having totally fallen off 30 paintings in 30 days) ... !

Autumn Leaves said...

Love the item you chose, Rhonda!

Unknown said...

Nice lesson plan. I like the shaker. I think it is so simple in shape yet complex with highlights, your students will have a lot of fun.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Debbie. I hope my students are learning and having fun!

Katherine, it does help me to work on lesson plans - you know how that goes as a teacher!!

Laura, I've learned not to challenge myself in that way anymore - 30 in 30 just becomes work!!

Thanks so much, Sherry and Lady Lilith - congrats on your new blog and hope it gives you a lot of pleasure and interesting days ahead.

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

I like shiny silver stuff. Who knows where the time goes. I don't. I like your lesson plans and bet your students love you.

thank goodness for the cooler weather. What a treat!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Carol. I just hope the students are learning a little every time we meet and remembering some of it - and having fun! Today, we are having rain with more scheduled for tomorrow. Definitely starting to feel like fall.