Thursday, August 14, 2014

WHAT'S IN THE SWIMMING POOL? IT'S NOT A SHARK!

When the bluejays begin squawking and won't stop (it really gets annoying at times), you know there's a predator nearby and they are sounding the alarm.  Well, I looked outside yesterday afternoon and this was in the swimming pool!  



We didn't open the pool this year so that's the black cover over the water that he (or she) is standing on and this bird was huge!!!  Grabbed the camera and began shooting, moved outside so I could get a clearer shot.  







Now that's worth squawking about!







Drove up to Mariemont and dropped off the two paintings I'll have in the Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society show - which opens this Sunday with an artist reception from 1 - 4 pm at the Women's Art Club "Barn" gallery.  Do come to see the show if you're in the area.  6980 Cambridge Avenue, Mariemont (Cincinnati) OH.  The show can be seen weekends (August 16, 17, 23, 24) 1-4 pm and weekdays (August 19-22) 9 am - 2 pm.  The show runs just one week and weekend from the opening.

5 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Rhonda - Hooray for capturing this lovely hawk. There have been so many times I have tried to catch them on film. Never have managed it. I love to see them fly - so majestic. Take care and have a great day.

Studio at the Farm said...

What a surprise to see a hawk on the pool cover!

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Rhonda,
Wow! Raptor, Ho! I cannot believe you left us hanging without telling us what hawk or eagle we're seeing! I'll definitely come by soon to see if you've enlightened us yet.
Enjoy the show and though it's a bit far away for me, I'll be there with you in spirit. Good luck.
Sincerely,
Gary.

Autumn Leaves said...

Now that is one fine looking hawk! Hope it had no problems getting out of the pool!!

RH Carpenter said...

Gary, Sweetie and I got out our bird book and we think it's a juvenile red-shouldered hawk, one of the biggest around. It was huge! Glad you enjoyed it, along with Debbie and Kathryn, and Sherry (no, it just flew off after seeing me taking photos and giving me the look!).