Monday, January 19, 2015

ACRYLIC ON PAPER - ADDING AND SUBTRACTING ONE

Over at Jane Davies blog, she shared a video on January 10th of her layering acrylics and scraping into, adding and substracting as she goes to finally come up with a very interesting abstract.  Go over and see how it's done.  



This is just my tiny effort at trying it out and seeing what it becomes.



First, red (and the red is a cooler red than it shows here - my camera will not get the right red on this - which is alizarin crimson).  

After this dried, I covered the paper with white acrylic and let that dry, adding another layer of white acrylic on top of the first layer.  Jane greyed her white but I put mine on right out of the tube.









When this dries, you scrape into it with something sharp to excise some lines.











This is your true starting point.  From here, you add color, substract, scrape, wipe and blur color, keeping a muted palette for the painting.


Jane used a lot of white, black and quinacridone gold acrylic paint to come up with a really nice abstract.  

7 comments:

laura said...

What a cool process (reminds me of "scratchboards" we used in high school).
Love the red lines--remind me of crackling ice!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Laura. Go over and check out the video from Jane Davies - very cool. She always has line work in her pieces but starts a lot without a plan - just seeing what works and looks good. Now I'll have to do one with blues!!

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Rhonda - can't wait to see what you create here. Sounds like such fun. Hope you are having a delightful day.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Debbie. It is fun to play with purpose (which is what I call this type of painting without an intentional start or finish but following a few set techniques to end up with something that may surprise you).

Barb Sailor said...

I love that you are experimenting and delving into other media - working and reworking paintings. I really like this direction for you. I think the painting of flowers on gesso was very successful, too. I am anxious to see where this painting on red is going to take you.

Barb Sailor said...

Also - I hope you are feeling better!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Barb :)