Wednesday, July 1, 2015

ACRYLIC + COLLAGE ON WATERCOLOR BOARD


I had a nice watercolor board (Fredrix watercolor canvas on board, 16 x 20 inches) in the corner looking forlorn and not being used.  So...used it to do this painting, an abstracted landscape in acrylic and collage.  

Acrylics give you the freedom to completely change your mind about shapes 
and colors 
and line 
and...everything!!  



You can see that as the painting progressed and changed.

I liked the colors in the beginning painting but they are not "my" colors, so you see things became more blue and violet and yellow as I progressed with adding the collage papers to the horizon line.









And then, it became this!!!  What a change.  For the better?  Not sure.  I did like the first and second iterations of this one and maybe got too literal.  Or maybe just felt like it should look more like summer?  

Live and learn - and practice practice practice.  (Sorry the photo is a bit blurry - for some reason, it's harder to get a sharp image when photographing acrylic on canvas?)


This one is finished and is now called

Walk to the City of Flowers

Acrylic, collage and watercolor crayons 
on 16" x 20" watercolor board



7 comments:

Sadami said...

~(*o*)~! ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞ·.•*•♫°•♫·.•ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞ !!

Unknown said...

I love the first and the
last version.
The one in the middle is
a bit too dark for my taste.
It's amazing how you turned
a wide open field into a city :)

Have a beautiful day!
Tinna ✐

Diana said...

My favorite is the last one, love the colors and the way my eye follows into the painting. Love,Diana

Autumn Leaves said...

Oh how beautiful this piece is, Rhonda! The colors sing to my heart!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Sadami :)

Tinna, thanks for letting me know which versions you like the best and why - good way to critique the work.

Diana, the last one is the actual finished piece and it amazed me how I changed so much, even the colors, to get to the final - which you can do with acrylic...which makes me feel a bit ungrounded at times, not knowing where to go! ha ha

Sherry, thanks so much!!

Jennifer Rose said...

would never had guess that bright painting originally had a brown background.
love the bright colours, really draw my eye in

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Jennifer Rose - that's the joy and the irritation (to me) about acrylics - they are never really finished! ha ha So you can change everything, if you want. I like having a few more limits (like watercolor gives you) when painting so abstracted work will never be my forte :) But I do like playing with new mediums and learning a bit.