Saturday, February 13, 2016

SOMETIMES YOU NEED A DO-OVER




This painting was moving along, but there was something niggling me and annoying me about it and I just kept trying to get it where I wanted it - in essence, forcing it.  And everyone knows you cannot force watercolor!  


So...although it looks okay here on the screen, it does not look good in "real life" so...time for a do-over.








And the first thing I did was draw it out on a piece of tracing paper - large tracing paper (Canson 19 x 24 inches tracing paper).  


Then I traced that onto a full sheet (22 x 30 inches with a little extra off the side and bottom) of Arches 140# cold press. 






I began with the background in Perylene Green with a touch of Quinacridone Burnt Scarlet in areas (and Hansa Yellow Light closest to the leaves to get a nice glow around them).


Now...plums and clementine colors in the foliage without being heavy-handed (fingers crossed), and I might just have a nice painting.  But if I don't, I'm not adverse to trying it again...since I'm trying to enjoy the process and not rush to the outcome as much this year.





And have a lovely, loving Valentine's Day, whether you have another with you or you are solo - do something loving and kind and good for yourself or your significant other - let's make every day Valentine's Day (without the chocolates - we all don't want to be gaining 5-10 pounds this year! ha ha).








5 comments:

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

I hear you about sometimes you just need a do-over. Love your drawing and this is coming along nicely.

Happy Valentine's day to you and your Sweetie. :)

E.M. Corsa said...

Have to say Rhonda, it looks pretty wonderful to me!

Jennifer Rose said...

have a good day and no chocolate here, gives me migraines :/ (which sucks because the chocolate here is very good :p)

sometimes doing something over is a good learning experience, why else would the old masters paint the same things over and over again? unless they really were just bad at painting and just trying to hide that fact :p

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Rhonda - so understand the do over - have had so many and even then they don't seem to come right. I think you will recover this one nicely. Love the composition and colors.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Carol, Elizabeth, Jennifer Rose and Debbie :)