Wednesday, February 17, 2016

WIP STILL


Still doing much more thinking and planning of this painting than actually painting.  Yesterday in class I had my students do a value study with the focus on the darkest darks.  After the photo was traced, they used a Tombow pen (archival watersoluble ink) to draw in the darkest darks.  Then touching the drawn ink with a wet brush, they pulled out the blacks and greys and left the whites pure.  So that's what I did with my morning leaves painting - a good value study.  Here is the photo in black and white and the photo traced onto watercolor paper and drawn into with the black Tombow pen. 



 Next, water is touched into the blacks and edges to draw out the darkest darks and the medium values...

At this point, too many pure white areas so you bleed out a bit more of the darks (the bleeding ink sometimes goes blue-grey and sometimes it turns a bit green-grey in color).

This is on a fourth sheet of Arches 140# watercolor paper - cold press.  









Now, this is what I want the watercolor painting to look like, only in color.


I think this value study will help me get there when I put down more color...and I see where I've messed up in the full sheet drawing so...start again?  Or just roll with it?

10 comments:

AK said...

These studies are supposed to make one a better artist. Unfortunately I have never been so meticulous and patient. Am sure the final result will be awesome.

E.M. Corsa said...

I happen to love the look of this!

RH Carpenter said...

Asit, yes, I know what you mean. I'm normally not this meticulous, either, just wanting to jump in but sometimes I need to make myself slow down and plan more.

Elizabeth, thanks :)

Jennifer Rose said...

would be a shame to start over but if you feel the current one is not working, no point struggling with it more

Lorraine Brown said...

Great exercise Rhonda, every slow down does aid your final work as your thought process is already done, well thats the theory!

Caroline Simmill said...

These exercises are very effective, I like them very much, quite a bit of drama is created with the black and white. Sounds like you had a lovely day with your students Rhonda.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Great idea to use the watersoluble pen. A value study but keeping the fluidity of the eventual watercolour - genius!

RH Carpenter said...

Yes, Jennifer Rose, sometimes only the artist knows the frustration and how it's just not "right" although it looks okay. Guess I think I'm going to try to do better than okay this year so may take more time, more planning, more something! ha ha

Thanks, Lorraine - slowing down is not easy for me but I'm still working on that.

Thanks, Caroline. Yes, the black and white does have a lot of drama!

Lisa, thanks - haven't been called a genius in a long long time!! ha ha

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

I love these black and white value studies. A lot of drama in them.

Debbie Nolan said...

Rhonda the ink drawings are so stunning. What a great way to work out the values of your painting too. Thank you for sharing. Hope you survived the winter storm that hit us from the south this week.