Tuesday, March 7, 2017

MORE SKY + LANDSCAPE STUDIES


More lessons from the Birgit O'Connor streaming video I purchased called Atmospheric Landscapes.  The only way to get better is more practice - as with everything.

These are all on small bits of 140# coldpress watercolor paper, the largest sheet being a fourth sheet (11 x 15 inches).

Autumn Sky and Field No. 1




Got a blossom/runback in this one in the sky = went in with clean water to make the clouds and it was already beginning to dry.


Autumn Sky and Field No. 2








This one is on a fourth sheet of Arches 300# coldpress (because that's what she used and I figured it may need some reworking which may be why she used the 300# instead of the 140#).  

Storm Sky Up

This is what the sky looked like after the storms and tornados ripped through the area last Wednesday morning.  I was awakened at 7 am by the sirens and announcements going off at the local university that said we were under a tornado watch.  I planned to go to the Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society meeting to see Deb Ward's program, but didn't make it - what a crazy day and many lost homes, roofs, trees, etc.  Semis turned over on the interstates and flooding where the rain poured in.  So March really came in like a lion!




This one is finished because the foreground field looked too dull.  Splattered a bit of red and green on it to give it a bit more.


Just got an email saying Birgit O'Connor is going to repeat the free webinar on March 9 - go to her site, check online courses and see it, sign up and enjoy!  It's not like the video streaming course I paid for but it's got a lot of good info and techniques to share - keep learning!


5 comments:

laura said...

You are surely practicing--I admire your initiative!
These remind me of when I first started to paint watercolors--I just brushed colors on paper. I should go back to that!

Sadami said...

Good on, hard worker Rhonda! We have to go to a pub to celebrate your achievement. Cheers, Sadami

E.M. Corsa said...

Loving that stormy sky!

Jennifer Rose said...

horrible situation with the tornado but the sky painting is lovely :) great colours, perfect for after a storm

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Laura, Sadami, Elizabeth and Jennifer Rose :). I always appreciate you taking the time to stop by and comment! You are all so supportive of my work - it keeps me going to my little art room so I'll have something new to share :)