Thursday, August 31, 2017

PATIENCE PAYS OFF - THREE



I finished the S. Trevena-esq painting based on her demo in the book.  I did change some colors, shapes, etc. - just a bit (we all have our own mark-making style and color choices).  But this is pretty close.  



Now, time to play with this concept myself.  It's interesting.  Working this way actually frees you up a bit more because you are not tied to painting exactly what you see and how you see it - choose your colors, make good shapes, and have good values and you should have a good painting.  We'll see how it turns out for me.





And I am working on a commission, painting and showing the painting as it goes, trying to make sure the client is very happy with the final version.  It's a "tight" painting of a flower (from her photo) - and that's how she wants it so she's happy so far.  This is the "first draft" that was too dark in the background and the flower didn't pop as much as she wanted - so I reworked it, lightening the background and putting more intense color on the flower (using watercolor ink with white gouache for the white areas).  


Then I decided I didn't like the 2 open petals (showing sideways) = too symmetrical.  So redid this (you always learn something when working and then starting over) putting in just one petal on the left side.  The final version will be on 300# paper (11 x 15 inches) and will be pure watercolor (no gouache to bring back the white).






7 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Rhonda - your patience certainly did pay off. Your painting is beautiful and the commissioned piece as well. I am sure your client is going to love it. So glad you shared. Hope you have a great day. Hugs!

debwardart said...

Wow. The Travena painting is very nice - but that FIRST flower knocked my socks off - I thought it was the photo you were painting from!!! Super job!!

Chris Lally said...

Wow, Rhonda! What a beautiful painting!! It sizzles!
And your client will be doing the happy dance very soon.
Appreciate that you blog about this - so interesting. Thank you for sharing!!

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

Your "Trevena" is amazing. When I first saw it I thought it was hers. Love that flower. Can't wait to see the final version.

You do learn a lot if you paint the same thing more than once, don't you?

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Debbie and Deb :). I appreciate your comments and glad you like the flower commission (hope I can knock off the client's socks, Deb, in the final verson).

Thanks, Chris and Carol :). Learning more every day and thinking about personal objects that I could incorporate into paintings. My own bug-a-boo right now seems to be the dark lines and marks = where to put them for best composition.

Jennifer Rose said...

there is a reason so many "master" painters painted the same thing so many times, best way to learn and learn from your mistakes :)

the flower pops off the page now, lovely red colour to the petals :)

laura said...

I have two of Trevena's books--I love her still lifes! Your demo painting turned out great! I really should try one!