Sunday, October 1, 2017

START AGAIN - INDOOR GREENERY


This is on a half sheet (15 x 22 inches) Arches 300# coldpress paper.  I did predraw (after the previous fail, I needed more direction and help with spacing elements).  Then I began painting.  

I don't often (never) paint on 300# paper but I have a few sheets of it so I intended to use it at some time.  The paper really soaks up the pigment and water but creates nice texture just by the fact that the 300# does soak up the pigment and water.  Unfortunately, it then causes everything to be so pale.  Which is not what I want.

So...I'll have to go back in with everything except the chair (I'm liking the color and value made from Daniel Smith Shadow Violet with just a touch of Genuine Rhodonite = pretty!).


So, stay tuned (if you aren't tired of all this experimenting of mine) and see what happens.  

This is not what was planned at all, except for the chair and tulips so who knows...I will also go back to the original plan and do another.  Using half sheets limits me - it feels like I'm unsure about the size of things and placement more on a smaller sheet, as if I have more freedom on a full sheet.  And I am not leaving enough white or getting good patterns in my paintings yet.  Maybe it's time to take a break from trying to paint in this style and just paint.  

We'll see where this experimentation leads in a few weeks or months (everything you learn and study goes into your own style and color choices and changes it a bit - for the better, I hope!)




7 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Whether you continue to paint in this style or "just paint," it's been wonderful watching you experiment and hearing your thoughts as you go along, Rhonda.

RH Carpenter said...

I am liking this one so far, Chris. I will go slowly and try to get it finished in a way that pleases me. There is a lot of thinking in this way of doing things, even if you start with a drawing (and I didn't start with a drawing except the drawing right on the watercolor paper). I see studying other artists as way to incorporate some new and good things into my own style and technique. Anyway...that's what fall and winter are for = study, learn, read, look at good artwork, then shut oneself away to stew and come out with something good.

Debbie Nolan said...

Rhonda - Like Chris I have to say it has been wonderful watching your experiments. Your colors you are selecting and the design elements are very interesting. Thanks for being willing to share...it is great inspiration. Hugs!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Debbie :) I appreciate your comments, always. Have a good week.

Jennifer Rose said...

not tired of the experimenting at all! i like seeing how other people work :)

the potted tree texture looks great :D

jane said...

I LOVE your CHAIR!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Jennifer Rose and Jane :)