Friday, January 5, 2018

AUDUBON POSTCARDS



In mid-2017, we stopped for a week in Savannah, GA.  One of our must-go places is the Dick Blick Art Supply store downtown, where I picked up a neat little postcard book of Audubon birds.  What better thing to get out and color and paint for THE YEAR OF THE BIRD?  









They are small so you can't do big washes of color - maybe colored pencil would be best or just light washes in places...here's a crow I did (it's all fill-in-the-spaces type of painting/coloring, but it still would make a nice postcard to send to someone).

I haven't finished all the greenery for this one yet.








6 comments:

Barbra Joan said...

Rhonda, this is wonderful.. Sometimes it's just good for us to do a little un-serious painting. That's what I do with the colored pencils...

Alice Jo Webb said...

What fun toys!

Jennifer Rose said...

too nice to use as an actual postcard, I'd be afraid it would get wrecked or nicked by someone

laura said...

Beautiful!!! Gotta get me one of those postcard books.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Barbra Joan, Alice Jo, Jennifer Rose, and...wait...Laura? Where's the second name, Laura :) ha ha. It's always fun to have new tools and toys, and I would use colored pencil on the others, I think, as there are a lot of little bits to fill in on these small postcards. I wonder if I spray-sealed them, if they would make it to their destination if I used them as postcards? Or I could slip one into an envelope and send it that way...
Laura, I've only seen then at Blick Art Supply in Savannah but they must have them online, too.

Caroline Simmill said...

A great idea and looks like fun to colour in. I haven't seen anything like that here in the highlands. Though we do get colouring books for adults.