Monday, May 21, 2018

LAST ENTRIES FOR SKETCHBOOK REVIVAL


Sketchbook Revival has come to an end, but I hope to continue playing in my various sketchbooks this year.  


Artist Whitney Freya took us back to our heavier sketchbooks to use acrylic layering and stenciling as an underpainting/start to a finished piece.  I didn't get any farther than this underpainting, but she suggests you do a lot of these at a time and have them ready for use when the muse arrives.  It would be a good way to just put down color when you're not sure what you want to paint or draw.  I used only 3 acrylic colors and ended up with the southwestern-type background to add stencils to as a first layer.  Who knows what will show up later?





After a few days of this one sitting, I thought more about the southwestern motif and came up with some pictographs/petroglyphs on stone walls and it's done :)  (Sorry but it looks like I got a bit of glare from the lights which faded out some of the color - it's really vibrant and bright like in the top painting with the hunters added on in acrylic.)












This was a freebie demo given to the participants of the Sketchbook Revival course - by Val Webb.  My colored pencil is rough because I did this on my Strathmore Visual Journal #90 (she did her demo on copy paper, which I didn't realize until later).  So...better to do this on smooth paper to get a better look.  I could go in with watercolor pencils and wet that, too, to smooth things out, or just leave it rough like this.  My eggs didn't get light enough, either (I am limited with my set of colored pencils).  Enough excuses!  I could work on this a lot longer, if I chose.









3 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Great post, Rhonda. I've been prepping some sketchbook pages, too. It's a such a great idea. I love what you came up with on your page - perfect for your color palette. And your eggs still look pretty good!!

Debbie Nolan said...

Rhonda I have enjoyed seeing your sketchbook pages. It is always a treat to see what you are doing. Colored pencil takes lots of patience (which is not my forte-:)! Hope you have a great day. Hugs!

Sadami said...

Wow, I love these posted work that impresses me so much! Go ahead and enjoy painting more than ever. Best wishes, Sadami