Saturday, May 5, 2018

STRATHMORE VISUAL JOURNAL


I like the texture and the way the paint sits on the paper in this journal.  I bought 2 of the 140# Strathmore journals (for wet media) and 1 of the 90# (for sketching/drawing only).  

The following are all in my Strathmore Visual Journal, 140# watercolor paper (9 x 12 inches).  Some of the sketches/drawings/
paintings were done when I was taking a Val Webb class in painting birds.  The others are from the Sketchbook Revival course hosted by Karen Abend.

I'll share more sketches as I go along in the course.  So far, I'm enjoying it and it's getting me to pick these up again and go for it.





Both of these were done when I was working in the Val Webb online course in painting birds.  (Val does one of the videos for the Sketchbook Revival course but I haven't watched it yet - she is great, though, so I'm looking forward to that one).

This is how I work = like a house on fire to start and then fizzle out!!




This one was just done as a way to do something - I have so many sketchbooks laying around, unused!  I seem to think I have to do an almost finished painting in them instead of letting them be repositories for thoughts, words, ideas, doodles, etc.


I'll share the actual work done while watching the videos soon - nothing finished or a work of art but just doodling, creating, doing, and filling up the pages as warm-ups, getting in touch with feelings, etc.  





The first video in the series is from an artist who will teach us how to make our own sketchbooks, but I have to admit, I skipped that one because all of these purchased sketchbooks are going to waste and I certainly don't need to make my own.  But if you're interested in that, watch the first video through and get your materials and make your own :)

If you cannot hook up to the course, let me know and I may be able to send you a link from my links - I'm sure it won't be a problem as it's all free.




5 comments:

Sadami said...

Oh, Rhonda, you're so sweet and kind to anyone! Lovely sketches. Enjoy the course. Cheers, Sadami

Chris Lally said...

Thank you for sharing your sketchbook pages, Rhonda. They are gorgeous and really inspire! And for the Sketchbook Revival recommendation.
I have the same problem with accumulating sketchbooks and then letting them collect dust - for the same reason, too. But, I did just have to make a couple of small books with Kiala Givehand in the first video. She's a great teacher. The books were quick and simple. Hoping they don't get dusty, too.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Sadami. Just watched a children's book illustrator give a demo on one of the videos - perhaps you know her? Nina Rybolt (?) from Australia - of course, Australia is a BIG place and not sure where she's from in Australia! ha ha

Chris, you are welcome - the good and bad in a sketchbook = you can share or not, but it's fun to see the process at times without seeing a finished, beautiful piece, too :) Glad you can join in and hope you enjoy it. I find I am tearing through the videos and am spending hours on this!! ha ha Hope you share some of your explorations as you go.

E.M. Corsa said...

Love seeing a peek into your sketchbooks! I had to laugh; I am the same way, beginning like a house on fire then fizzling out. But I use up my sketchbooks and quickly.

Jennifer Rose said...

I have so many unused sketchbooks laying around I would have skipped that video too. my sketchbooks tend to be full of everything and i blame that on uni since we are told put everything and anything you do in them ,does make them way a ton tho :p